What Is Black Mold?
How to Respond to Black Mold Growth
We have always sought to be a source of quality and correct information. The unfortunate aspect of the abundance of data on the internet is that it cannot always be trusted, be followed, or be safe to believe. Black mold can be one of the scariest forms of microbial growth in a residence or business, but much of this concern is unfounded or misplaced. Every mold damage event can be potentially harmful to your property or cause health effects, so without the scare tactics, black mold can be approached similarly to any mold development discovered in residences.
Should You Determine Mold Types Before Professional Intervention?
Most homeowners are not qualified to identify the species or type of mold threat to area properties. Undoubtedly, facilities like the Morton Plant Hospital or the St. Petersburg College have microbial experts, but the mold does not need to be identified to begin remediation work. Each threat produces:
- Higher spore concentration
- Damage to materials supporting the fungi
- Volatile organic compounds and musty odors
SERVPRO Professionals Can Help
There is little merit in believing that black mold, known in the science communities as Stachybotrys chartarum, is more harmful. Even still, the spreading organism does use organic matter as a food source and can deteriorate hosting materials. Our fast professional response allows us to mitigate loss, protect content, and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Clearwater South / Clearwater Beach immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (727) 614-0099
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Clearwater South / Clearwater Beach is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
SERVPRO of Clearwater South / Clearwater Beach proudly serves Clearwater, Clearwater Beach, and surrounding areas.